We specialize in installing EV chargers, primarily with hardwired connections. Yet, we recognize that sometimes there’s a need to utilize an existing socket, like a dryer outlet, in your garage. For your convenience and safety, we’ve compiled a comprehensive overview and comparison of splitters.
If you’re looking to charge two cars simultaneously, check out our double-charging guide.
One of the challenges EV owners face is finding a convenient and cost-effective way to charge their vehicles at home. This is where using a dryer outlet splitter comes into play. The question then becomes, which splitter to choose for Level 2 EV charging – a dumb or smart one?
There are several reasons why an EV owner might choose to use a dryer plug splitter for charging.
Reasons to Use Splitters for EV Charging
- Cost-Effective: Using a NEMA splitter can save over $1,000 compared to the cost of installing an additional circuit or upgrading your service panel. Thus, a smart splitter is a more affordable solution.
- Convenient: The setup is quick and easy, with the entire process taking only a few minutes.
- Portable: The setup can be easily dismantled and taken along when moving.
- Efficient: The setup allows for charging at a rate of up to 21 miles per hour, which is sufficient for a full charge each night.
- Limited Charging Speed: While the charging speed provided by a dumb splitter is significantly faster than a standard wall outlet, it is still slower than a dedicated EV charging station.
- Dependence on Dryer Plug Availability: The setup requires the availability of a 220/240v dryer plug, which may not be available in all homes.
Dumb Splitters for Charging Electric Vehicles
What are Dumb Splitters for L2 Charging?
Dumb splitters are devices that allow two separate devices to draw power from a single power source. They typically comply with NEMA standards of 10-30 (3-Prong dryer), 14-30 (4-Prong dryer), 10-50 and 14-50. A distinctive disadvantage of such splitters is their inability to adjust the power and direction of the current. In the context of EV charging, a dumb splitter can be used to share a power source, such as a 220/240v dryer plug, between the dryer and the EV charger. This can be particularly useful in situations where installing a hardwired EV charging station is not feasible or cost-effective.
The Best Dumb 3-Prong Dryer Splitters • NEMA 10-30
The Best Dumb 4-Prong Dryer Splitters • NEMA 14-30
Risks and Safety Considerations of Using Dumb Splitters for EV Charging
While using a dumb splitter for EV charging can be a convenient and cost-effective solution, it is not without risks. The primary risk is the potential for overloading the circuit if the dryer and the EV charger are used simultaneously. This can be mitigated by setting a reminder to avoid using the dryer while the EV is charging.
Additionally, it is always recommended to have a certified electrician check the setup if there are any uncertainties. This can help ensure that the setup is safe and meets all electrical codes and standards.
While Y adapters for the dryer plug can be a good solution for some, there are also smart alternatives available that offer additional features and benefits.
Smart Alternatives to Charge Your EV Safely
For example, smart dryer outlet splitters for Tesla can automatically manage the power distribution between the dryer and the Tesla Mobile Connector to prevent overloading the circuit.
Why Use a Smart Splitter?
The primary reason to use a smart splitter is its ability to allow multiple devices to share a single charging outlet. This means you can charge your EV and run your dryer simultaneously without overloading the circuit or tripping the breaker. Got multiple EVs at home and just a few charging outlets? This gem’s a lifesaver for you!
Good to know
Features of Smart Splitters
Smart dryer splitters come packed with features designed to make EV charging a breeze. Here are some notable ones:
- Smart Switching: The device can dynamically switch between the primary and secondary outlets depending on the amount of current being drawn from each one.
- Dual Outlets: Smart splitters typically have two same outlets (10-30, 14-30, 14-50), allowing you to plug in two charging stations or a charging station and an appliance.
- LED Indicators: Most smart splitters come with LED indicators that show the status of the device and charging.
- Apps: Some smart splitters can be controlled remotely via a smartphone app, allowing the user to monitor and control the charging process from anywhere.
Good to know
Dumb Y-adapters vs Smart splitters
240v dryer outlet splitters offer different charging options for EVs.
|Dumb Y-Adapter||Smart Splitter|
|Cost||More affordable due to simplicity.||Typically pricier due to advanced features.|
|Weather Resistance||Suitable for outdoor use.||Generally designed for indoor use only.|
|Safety||Risk of circuit overload if not managed properly.||Built-in power management to prevent circuit overload.|
|Certification||Not always UL listed.||Often UL listed, indicating safety inspections.|
|Risk of Overloading||High risk if dryer and EV charger are used simultaneously.||Low risk due to automatic power management.|
|Indoor/Outdoor Use||Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.||Primarily designed for indoor use due to lack of waterproofing.|
|Relative Cost||Less expensive, but lacks advanced safety features.||More expensive, but offers enhanced safety and convenience.|
Dumb NEMA switchers are cheaper but require careful management outdoors to avoid circuit overload. Smart Splitters are safer, with built-in power management, but they cost more and are designed for indoor use only. The price of some dual chargers is comparable to a couple of smart switches.
Good to Know
Before investing in a smart dryer cord splitter, there are a few things you should know:
- If two EVs are plugged into the smart splitter, the device will manage power delivery to ensure the circuit’s maximum capacity is not exceeded. It can charge both cars at half power simultaneously or fully charge one car before starting to charge the second one.
- We have suggested verifying the type of outlet you have. For instance, it’s unusual for a washer room to have a NEMA 14-50 outlet.
If a splitter is not per the UL standard, insurance might complain if there’s a fire or electrical damage.
Dryer Splitter for Tesla Owners
To determine the appropriate dryer splitter for EVs, inspect your 240v outlet.
If you haven’t yet purchased an adapter for your Tesla, choose one that matches your outlet’s connector type.
The power and charging speeds you can expect will vary depending on the type of NEMA outlet you have.
|NEMA type||Max output Amps & kW||TMC Adapter||Model 3 Charge speed|
|NEMA 6-50||240 volt / 50 amp breaker, Maximum 32 amp / 7.7kW output||Link||30 MPH|
|NEMA 14-50||240 volt / 50 amp breaker, Maximum 32 amp / 7.7kW output||Link||30 MPH|
|NEMA 14-30||240 volt / 30 amp breaker, Maximum 24 amp / 5.8kW output||Link||22 MPH|
|NEMA 10-30||240 volt / 30 amp breaker, Maximum 24 amp / 5.8kW output||Link||22 MPH|
|NEMA 6-20||240 volt / 20 amp breaker, Maximum 16 amp / 3.8kW output||Link||15 MPH|
|NEMA 6-15||240 volt / 15 amp breaker, Maximum 12 amp / 2.9kW output||Link||11MPH|
For example, a NEMA 10-30 splitter allows a 24 amp load, which would require a 30 amp breaker. Another more popular NEMA 14-30 splitter differs only in design, and has similar power limits.
Good to know
If you have a TMC-adapter with a 14-50 connector and your dryer socket is a 10-30, consider using a splitter with different NEMA connectors (10-30 + 14-50) before purchasing an additional 10-30 TMC-adapter. Always ensure that the vehicle’s incoming voltage doesn’t surpass the 10-30 outlet’s maximum limit of 24 Amps.
Introducing the Models We’ve Evaluated
Below, you’ll find a series of reviews from EV Adept. Through rigorous testing, we’ve identified certain models that stand out from the rest. Our selection was influenced by their popularity among our customers. Furthermore, we placed a heightened emphasis on specific criteria, such as the device’s ability to revert to the priority setting after a power shutdown and its capability to recover correctly once power is restored following an outage.
Product #1. Split Volt Splitter Switch • Smart & Automatic
In our experience as EV installers, we’ve noticed that the Splitvolt splitter switch has garnered significant appreciation from customers.
From our extensive experience as EV installers, we’ve come across various feedback regarding the Splitvolt splitter switch. One piece of feedback that we’ve encountered was related to a low-volume chatter sound the switch produces during its auto-switch operation. Not sure if it’s a lone wolf situation or a pack problem.
Moreover, not every EV owner might find the Splitvolt splitter switch indispensable. If an owner has the necessary electrical capacity and can afford to establish a dedicated, high-powered 240-volt circuit for an EV charger, that’s often the most optimal solution. Nonetheless, for those seeking a more economical and time-efficient approach, the Splitvolt splitter switch can serve as a viable alternative.
Our hands-on experience and feedback from clients have revealed several benefits of the Splitvolt splitter switch:
- User-Friendly Design: It’s made to be intuitive and offers a hassle-free solution to enhance EV charging points.
- Economical Home EV Charging: Splitvolt promotes its switch as a means to uncomplicated, reasonably priced, and safe home EV charging. It facilitates users to utilize a pre-existing 30-amp dryer outlet for both their dryer and EV charger, doing away with expensive electrical alterations.
- Safety Assurance: The splitter switch comes with safety certification, attesting to its compliance with safety standards.
- Widespread Acceptance: The Splitvolt splitter switch has witnessed thousands of units being sold, reflecting its broad-based acceptance and satisfaction among users.
- Diverse Offerings: Splitvolt provides an array of products, including different splitter switches, portable EV chargers, and various adapters, allowing users multiple choices based on their charging requirements.
It’s worth highlighting that while these benefits are derived from widely available data, personal experiences can differ. We always advise potential buyers to delve into user feedback and seek expert opinions before settling on a purchase.
The Splitvolt splitter switch epitomizes a Level 2 electric vehicle rapid home charging solution, projected to be safe, budget-friendly, and straightforward. Here are its technical details:
- Model: Splitvolt Safety Certified Splitter Switch
- Sockets and plugins vary
- Digital Display: Showcases real-time kWh, amps, volts, and status indicators
- Maximum Load: 240V ~ 60Hz 24A AC
- Protection: Suitable for indoor use
- Unit Weight: 7 lbs
- Warranty: Covered by a limited warranty for 1 year
Additionally, Splitvolt has introduced another model – the Split Volt Splitter Switch NEMA 10-30 / 14-50, which shares some similarities but also some distinct specs.
To sum up, the Splitvolt splitter switch is carved out to be a straightforward, wallet-friendly solution for home EV charging.
Diving into our data and hands-on playtime, we’re usually giving Splitvolt two thumbs up for our clients. Business-wise, it’s a solid choice.
Product #2. NEOCHARGE • Autopilot for EV Charging with App
The NeoCharge smartly shifts the secondary outlet to a standby mode when the primary one is active. This feature ensures devices like the JuiceBox maintain their Wi-Fi connection, even if another device, such as a dryer, is in operation.
Based on our years of experience as EV installers and feedback from our clients, here’s an objective look at the NeoCharge Smart Splitter:
- Price: The NeoCharge Smart Splitter has a price tag that ranges [Check]. Some may find this pricing a bit steep when compared to other charging solutions available.
- Compatibility: Before purchasing, ensure the NeoCharge Smart Splitter suits your EV model and charging setup. Incompatibility may arise with specific EV models or charging stations.
- Power Splitting: While the device allows simultaneous charging of two EVs, the power allotted for each vehicle could be less than when charging individually, potentially leading to extended charging durations.
- Installation: Even though it’s portable and doesn’t need intricate wiring, correct installation is essential. Following the manufacturer’s guidelines is crucial for its safe and efficient use.
- Limited Information: There’s a paucity of detailed information about the device. For an in-depth understanding, consulting user reviews and manufacturer details is advised.
Most of our clients are raving about its top-notch performance and how easy it is to use.
- Dual Charging: The device facilitates the simultaneous charging of two EVs from one outlet, which is advantageous for households with more than one EV.
- Ease of Use: The NeoCharge Smart Splitter offers a user-friendly experience; there’s no need for panel upgrades or permits. Just plug it into a 240V socket, and you’re set.
- Intelligent Power Splitting: It can divide power between two outlets smartly, ensuring efficient charging for both vehicles.
- Portability: Given its compact nature, it’s easy to transport and use in different locations.
- Cost-Effective: Users might save on costs as there’s no need for an additional 240V socket or a breaker box upgrade. It’s especially beneficial for homes with several EVs.
- Output power: Ranges between 24A/5.7kW to 40A/9.6kW.
- Voltage: 240 VAC nominal, single-phase.
- Input: Includes NEMA 14-50, NEMA 6-50, among others.
- Outputs: Features 2 x NEMA 14-30R, NEMA 10-30R, or NEMA 14-50R.
- Dimensions: Measures 5.25″ x 5.25″ x 5.25″.
- Weight: Approximately 2.5 lbs.
- Warranty: Covered for 2 years.
Before installation, if you intend to use the NeoCharge app, note down the serial number found on the back of the product. It saves the trouble of having to disassemble the device later for app registration.
The device also possesses intelligent power splitting functionality, determining which outlet gets power and the amount of power to distribute, guaranteeing both vehicles’ safe and efficient charging.
We strongly advise against the use of non-smart splitters due to the potential fire hazards they present. Opt for smart splitters if setting up a dedicated outlet proves too challenging.
Product #3. Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO • Smart device
The device is engineered to enable EV owners to share a dryer outlet with their EV charging station. While the primary Dryer Buddy model constantly keeps both outlets live, the Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO introduces the auto-switching feature.
Here’s a breakdown based on our extensive experience and feedback from clients:
- Price: Some users may consider it relatively expensive compared to other charging options. Check
- Compatibility: Before purchasing, ensure that the device is compatible with your specific EV and charging setup to avoid potential compatibility challenges.
- Limited Information: The details available about the Dryer Buddy™ Plus AUTO are somewhat limited. For a holistic understanding, referring to user reviews and manufacturer specifications is advised.
- User Feedback: A few isolated instances indicate potential concerns. One of our customers mentioned an issue with device functionality, though the exact problem wasn’t specified. Another highlighted that their unit’s meter displayed only the current, omitting voltage or wattage. However, the majority of reviews lean positively.
- Cost-Efficiency: For those wishing to utilize their dryer outlet for EV charging, the Dryer Buddy™ Plus AUTO can potentially save on heavy wiring or panel upgrade expenses.
- Desirable Features: With auto-switching, tailor-made personalization, a cool in-built meter, and a design that’s a breeze to use, it’s no wonder this device is on EV owner’s wish list.
Comparison with Other Models
As described by BSA Electronics, the manufacturer, the Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO is an enhanced version of the original Dryer Buddy Plus model.
Though we haven’t interacted directly with this device, a couple of our clients have. Gleaning concrete insights from neutral reviews can be challenging, so if you’re on the hunt for further information, you might want to explore brands like SPLITVOLT or NEOCHARGE.
Product #4. AC WORKS Safety Switch Y-Cable • Dumb but Durable
This US manufacturer and its splitter was known to us long before the advent of electric car chargers. How does it compare now?
- Durability: We’ve observed that the Safety Switch Y-Cable is robust and ensures longevity.
- Length: At 3 feet, it provides flexibility for positioning and linking devices.
- Versatility: It’s designed to simultaneously connect two different devices, like a dryer and an electric vehicle charger. This spares users the hassle of constantly switching cords.
- Safety Switch: This feature provides easy power control to the connected appliances, offering an additional layer of safety, particularly for high-powered devices.
- Compatibility: With models like NEMA 10-30P to two NEMA 10-30R and NEMA 14-30P to two NEMA 14-30R, it ensures a broad range of compatibility.
In summary, the AC WORKS Safety Switch Y-Cable provides durability, convenience, safety, and compatibility, making it a reliable choice for multiple appliance connections.
- Limited Length: Its 3-foot length might not be ample for all scenarios. Users might require extensions, potentially leading to safety concerns.
- Limited Compatibility: Its design targets NEMA 10-30P and NEMA 14-30P dryer plugs. Users need to ensure compatibility before purchase.
- Limited Switch Control: The safety switch doesn’t offer the granularity of individual switches for each appliance.
- Potential Overloading: Simultaneously connecting two devices demands users to be cautious about the total power consumption.
- Limited Availability: It might not be easily accessible everywhere, and users may need to consider alternatives.
It’s crucial for potential users to evaluate their needs and ensure that the Y-Cable aligns with their appliance requirements.
- EVY1030SW-036 (NEMA 10-30P to two NEMA 10-30R)
- EVY1430SW-036 (NEMA 14-30P to two NEMA 14-30R)
- Length: 3 feet
- Maximum Amperage: 30A
- Voltage: 125/250V
- Plug and Outlet Types: Vary based on model.
- Safety Switch: Incorporated (Manual)
The AC WORKS Safety Switch Y-Cable, based on our experience and feedback from clients, emerges as a sturdy and reliable choice for specific needs. This nifty tool’s packed with perks, but a heads-up: double-check if it vibes with your EVSE.
Endnote: Our Strategy for Optimal Equipment Use
Based on our extensive experience with equipment installation, we advise against using all types of equipment indiscriminately. Instead, we recommend opting for smart splitters for chargers and dryers, such as Splitvolt and Neocharge, or the more cost-effective AC Works switches. If you don’t intend to upgrade your wiring, it’s best to steer clear of Y-models. This strategy has consistently allowed our customers to efficiently use multiple devices from a single outlet for years, and we believe it will serve you just as effectively.
Is it legal to use a dryer outlet to charge a Tesla?
Yes, it’s legal. However, you should ensure you have permission to use the outlet, especially if it’s not your property.
What charge rate should I expect when using a dryer outlet NEMA 10-30?
You can pull 24A on a dryer outlet, which is easily sufficient for overnight charging.
How do I know which adapter to use for the dryer outlet?
Can I use an extension cord with the mobile adapter for the dryer outlet?
Yes, but ensure an EV extension cord is of a thick enough gauge to handle the current, especially for longer extensions like 50 feet.
How do I know if the dryer outlet is suitable for charging?
First, determine if the dryer is electric, then get the right adapter. RV stores often have long extension cords that can handle high amp loads.
What if the dryer outlet is constantly in use?
You can use a splitter, like the Splitvolt, so you don’t have to keep swapping plugs. This is especially useful if the dryer outlets are not robust enough for constant plugging and unplugging. More in this expert review.
How do I identify the type of plug the dryer outlet has?
Look it up on resources like our NEMA Plug Chart.
- 0.1 Dumb Splitters for Charging Electric Vehicles
- 0.2 The Best Dumb 3-Prong Dryer Splitters • NEMA 10-30
- 0.3 The Best Dumb 4-Prong Dryer Splitters • NEMA 14-30
- 0.4 Smart Alternatives to Charge Your EV Safely
- 0.5 Why Use a Smart Splitter?
- 0.6 Features of Smart Splitters
- 0.7 Dumb Y-adapters vs Smart splitters
- 0.8 Good to Know
- 0.9 Dryer Splitter for Tesla Owners
- 1 Introducing the Models We’ve Evaluated
- 1.1 Product #1. Split Volt Splitter Switch • Smart & Automatic
- 1.2 Product #2. NEOCHARGE • Autopilot for EV Charging with App
- 1.3 Product #3. Dryer Buddy Plus AUTO • Smart device
- 1.4 Product #4. AC WORKS Safety Switch Y-Cable • Dumb but Durable
- 1.5 Endnote: Our Strategy for Optimal Equipment Use
- 1.6 FAQ