What does your Tesla's appetite depend on?
The range on a single charge of an electric car is, of course, an attractive indicator. But in most life situations it will be far from the real value. In this respect, electric cars are inferior to their rivals with internal combustion engines.
Do you need to know how far your Tesla will go after getting charged in 15 minutes? If you're recharging your car in the garage at a home charging station or on the Supercharger network, the Tesla Range Calculator will come in handy.
How do you drive more on a Tesla?
The metrics that are taken into account are something an electric car driver should definitely consider.
For an extended range determination, the following are taken into account:
- driving style;
- temperature of the outside air;
- average driving speed.
All three parameters have an equal effect on the remaining range. Different combinations are possible.
Average driving speed is used in the speed range of 30 to 80 miles per hour (50 to 130 km/h). Going slower means wasting energy in traffic. Going fast is a waste of energy.
Temperature range is -4°F (-20°C) to +104°F (+40°C). Low and extremely high temperatures are equally detrimental to battery performance.
Driving style is divided into 3 conditional modes:
Using combinations of modes will not only help to calculate the remaining range on the battery. The driver can simulate his behavior in advance, which will allow him to count on additional mileage traveled in an attempt to reach the point of recharging.
A real-life example of mileage determination depending on external factors
A few typical examples. For calculation, let's take an average electric car (78 kW×h) with a range of 250 miles (400 km).
We will give the change of index for 5 variants of electric car exploitation:
1. Unnatural "economy". Air temperature 68 °F (20 ° C), rational driver control mode, the average speed - 30 miles per hour (50 km / h), without unnecessary delays. The output is 443 miles (713 km), which is almost twice as far. But it is hardly possible to call such a trip enjoyable.
2. A short out-of-town trip. The temperature is 50 °F (10 ° C) in a rational driving mode. Average speed was "raised" to 50 miles per hour (80 km/h). The resulting mileage was 272 miles (437 km). The "commute to work and back" cycle will allow several days without recharging.
3. A long-distance trip in the summer. Normal driving style is combined with an average speed of 60 mph (100 km/h) and a temperature of 68 °F (20 °C). The range drops to 208 miles (336 km). As the speed increases, the duration of the trip decreases.
4. "In a Hot City". On streets with red-hot air and active steering, the electric car will not get more than 155 miles (250 km).
5. Winter driving. At an average highway speed of 45 miles per hour (70 km/h) and -4 °F (-20 ° C), the same 150 miles (240-250 km) with reasonable behavior of the driver.
It is worth bearing in mind that additional energy consumption "inside the cabin", such as a switched on air conditioner, will further reduce the range of your trip.
A basic guideline about the driving range can be calculated with this Tesla Range Calculator. Otherwise, electric cars differ significantly from traditional cars in the influence of external factors on energy consumption. The driver will have to get used to this feature.
How many miles does an electric car battery last?
Most Tesla, Chevrolet, Nissan, and Jaguar models offer a range of about 250 miles on a fully charged battery. You will find up-to-date information about the projected number of miles here or in this range calculator.
The first Tesla electric cars were equipped with batteries with a capacity of 60 kWh or more. A few years later, manufacturers developed batteries with a capacity of more than 100.0 kWh.
Some car manufacturers offer owners the full capacity of the battery pack without caring about extending their battery life.
Tesla Motors is working closely with LG Chem, Panasonic and CATL to ensure the efficiency of the battery cells and thereby maximize the range of electric cars.
Electric car batteries use different materials and chemicals in their design, and they are being modified so that they can travel longer distances on a single charge. Manufacturers are also evaluating different charging technologies to achieve greater range.
Manufacturers continue to improve their range of batteries, but what we have now is already satisfactory.
Tesla engine consumption affects mileage
Tesla batteries are getting bigger and more powerful, but at the same time cars are getting more efficient. Automakers are striving to make engines more efficient so that their cars last longer. According to experts, increasing engine efficiency by one point increases a car's range by two points.
How much maximum range can your Tesla get?
About 1.8 times the manufacturer's stated number of miles when driven slowly, but that trip may not be particularly pleasant. You can see the manufacturer's projected mileage data for each model in this Tesla range calculator.
The longer range comes at the expense of improved engine efficiency and increased battery size. The efficiency of the engine's energy use is influenced by your choice of driving style. This is how you can increase the range of your electric car.
Tesla range is determined by two main factors. It's your driving style and environmental conditions. Tesla software analyzes your driving style and gives you a personal estimate of your range. The software can also predict the need for recharging.
How else can you increase your Tesla's range? Reduce aerodynamic drag. Remove trunks from the roof when not in use. Reduce unnecessary load.